#SixOnSaturday- Combinations in the garden

 This is Chelsea week and there's been a lot of focus on where we're going with horticulture, particularly rewilding , best show garden this year was a rewilding garden. Apparently the aim is to rewild 10% of Britain, we're at 0.5% at the moment, according to someone on Radio 4s Farming Today this morning. It's important to increase biodiversity and help prevent the worst effects of climate change. With this week in mind, I've tried to rethink my choice of six; my theme is combinations, plant or plant and animal.

We've had some rain over the past couple of weeks and the garden is filling out with fewer gaps between plants, so it's interesting to see how the combinations of plants work together. Christopher Lloyd used to say that all plants went together whatever their colour and form, I tend to agree, although wish I was better at combinations. I was pleased with this combination of plants below, in one of the borders, although it's not necessarily planned, the snapdragons are self seeded, the almost black Violas from Wildegoose Nurseries, perennial white, sweetest smelling stock, an orange Geum, and lots more

This is the Allium and Stipa tenuissima combo at one of the community gardens which works well to dramatic effect.
More almost black flowers, irises this time, looking good with the foxglove, and the new fencing back drop.
Pink of campions and Geum totally tangerine look fabulous together, even though I wouldn't think pink and orange would look good together, I can see them from the kitchen window and they entice you into the garden.
Persicaria superba is flowering well just now and covered in bees, it's a thug, but a wonderful one.
The last combination is the mullein moth caterpillars on Verbascum. It's worth letting the plants grow so there's food for the caterpillars, I love watching them get fatter and fatter every day as the plant disappears!
So there art my six on this gloriously sunny morning. I'm going to head over to The Propagator now to see what he's chosen, and what others have selected, it's a right planty feast, have a look.



Comments

  1. I have grown wild flower seeds this year as well as other plants for pollinators. I was inspired after I read Dancing With Bees by Brigit Strawbridge Howard. Re-wilding is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw crimson clover for the first time last year in a farmer's wild flower meadow, so thought I'd buy some seeds, there were masses in the packet and they have been very easy to grow. I'll photograph them when they flower, the colour is spectacular. I am enjoying the campions, but they are seeding very freely!

      Delete
  2. I have considered Persicaria but worried about its thuggishness. It does have a very nice flower, though. I think the campions and geum are a fabulous combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought the campions and geums would look good together, but they absolutely zing. That Persicaria superba is particularly thuggish, but the flowers are adored by bees and I just pull lots out regularly.

      Delete
  3. I've enjoyed your post about combinations -- always important when we plant. I've been making an effort to plant more orange and purple combos which truly draw the eye as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Combos are important when we plant, but I don't find that much of a problem if I don't pay attention to them. If I think things don't really go together, I tend to trim them back a bit so there isn't so much of them. I'm pleasantly surprised when things look good together. Orange and purple are wonderful. I find yellow flowered plants hard to combine with everything, but do like a few yellow flowered plants including Sisyrinchium augustifolium and Euryops which grows into fabulous bushes on the Isle of Wight.

      Delete

Post a Comment