#SixOnSaturday- flowering progress in the garden

 Longer days, and although we've had a down turn in temperatures with snow and hail storms, and a fair amount of rain this week, the following plants are flowering profusely. I was going to include those fast spreading asters to say I'm fed up with them and intending to dig them all out, I didn't need a photo of them, you all know what I'm talking about. They are lovely when they flower, but they strangle everything in their wake and aren't worth garden space. They're all coming out!

So what are my most favourite plants this week?

This is my plant of the week, given to me by a friend, it's an early flowerer, as it says online: 'Doronicum (Leopard's Bane) Early flowering herbaceous perennial. A vigorous bushy plant, with rich green heart-shaped leaves and bright yellow flowers. This old fashioned garden favourite provides one of the first splashes of colour in the herbaceous border.' 
This a lovely scented Daphne just coming into flower
Above Muscari latifolium, a rather exotic form of Muscari, I don't really like the common sort which spread like wildfire in my garden.
This is a lovely alpine wallflower which grows vigorously and propagates readily
Euphorbia mellifera above is looking very healthy and ready to produce its honey scented flowers very soon.
And last but not least, the wonderful flowers of Soldanella, this is what it says online:

'The genus Soldanella, commonly known in English as snowbell, includes about 15 species of flowering plants native to European mountains, from the Pyrenees, the Apennines, the Alps, the Carpathians and the Balkans. They grow in woods, damp pastures and rocky landscapes from 500-3,000 m above sea level, often in hollows which hold snow into late spring and early summer. The name Soldanella means "little coins" in Italian.'

It just leaves me to remind you to look at The Propagator's blog and also see what other gardeners have written about. Do click on the link, have a look and consider joining in. There are always six things to talk about.

Comments

  1. Lots of plants that are new to me here, especially the Soldanella. Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soldanella is gorgeous, and flowers wonderfully each spring. I go to lots of plant fairs where I pick up unusual plants.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting selection of plants. I'm very taken by the Soldanella too, and the Dorinicum which I've seen on Gertrude Jekyll's planting plans but not in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really good if you enjoy plants, to seek out unusual ones and hope they thrive in the conditions you can offer them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment