#SixOnSaturday: Community gardening a highlight

 It will be 10pm by the time I post this, there's a lot going on at the moment, with canvassing and leafletting ahead of next Thursday's elections, not to mention three stints of community gardening this week. The garden and allotment have been neglected, apart from watering seed trays in the greenhouse and pots of cuttings for the plant sale in June. 

I'm going to start with my Red Riding hood tulips which were bought from Parkers at a very reasonable price, I have two pots of them by the front door and they are looking so good. They seem to open and close every day, something I haven't noticed before.

On Thursday afternoon, a group of us planted the Cambria Bridge Community Gardening bed with a mix of perennials, some provided by South Swindon Parish Council, some provided by me, herbs and bulbs provided by two of the other volunteers. They were well watered in, but will need more water over the coming weeks, it seemed a shame to leave the bed unplanted until the autumn when it would have been easier to get the plants established. The surface of the soil had formed a dry, hard pan and had to be broken up before planting could take place. We started at 4pm and it was almost 8pm before the last five of us had finished the planting.
These tulips were in a friend's garden, they look fabulous, I'm not sure what sort they are, lovely combination though
Tree peonies are in flower, my rather ragged plant has 7 flowers on it, it's poor shape, but I do like it.
My Camassia are also flowering, the clump gets bigger each year and could probably be split
I love watching the ferns unfurl in spring, this one below is my favourite one.

The garden continues to grow despite the lack of rain, although some plants seem to be rushing to flower to get their life cycle over. I'm hoping we do get some rain this week. I'll go and see what The Propagator has chosen for his six; click on the link to see lots of great choices of #sos


Comments

  1. Community gardening is such a great idea, well done for all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, it is a brilliant idea, not so easy when the rain just doesn't come!

      Delete

Post a Comment