Westcroft: a Snowdrop Garden

 The National Garden Scheme 2022 yellow book, should be available now; I have ordered mine, but there has been a problem with getting it printed. At Twigs Snowdrop Sunday, I picked up the slimmer, Wiltshire list of gardens open for charity. I looked up local gardens and found Westcroft, in Boscombe village, near Salisbury is open on Thursdays from Jan- 3 March. Owner Lyn Miles has been collecting snowdrops for over 30 years, and now has 500 different varieties, she's very keen and knowledgeable about snowdrops and it was a joy to visit her garden yesterday. Her website is out of date, she says, but there is some interesting information there.

I took a few photographs which give you an idea of the garden and the sheer number of snowdrops there.

These above are G. Pat Mason, quite a large, robust snowdrop, and definitely on my shopping list.
This one G.Trumps is a snowdrop I bought last year, with very distinctive markings, although there are lots of other snowdrops with names beginning with tr which are very similar.
These were lovely snowdrops, with the wrong label, which had been blown, and seemed nearest these snowdrops, I asked Lyn what they were, and she said, I think Porlock 1.
This is typical of the lower part of the garden, paths through snowdrops, you can just see Tim behind a tree, he went haring off and said they all look the same, until I pointed out differences.
Another view of an arch
and more snowdrops beneath a tree
Above as you can see, G.Sentinel
This one above is G. Dainty something
The garden slopes gently upwards 
This is G.Dodo Norton above
There is a lovely tree house in one corner of the garden. I would certainly recommend a trip to Westcroft before the end of the snowdrop season. Lyn also sells snowdrop mugs, cake, soup, cards and lots more for galanthophiles



Comments