#SixOnSaturday: retreating to the greenhouse

 Storm Eunice certainly affected many parts of the country very badly, but here in Swindon we were fairly lucky to escape the worst of the strong winds. Certainly in the back garden, most things seem OK, the cardoon stems from last year have snapped half way down, but that's only to be expected; I have avoided my allotment today, but have kindly been sent a photo of my brassica cage which looks like it has moved a bit. I thought I'd go and look inside my, thankfully unharmed, greenhouse this afternoon, and this is what I chose for my six in there:

I'm starting with this Agave, given to me by a friend several years ago, it has produced many offspring, all but one have been removed and potted up for plant sales. I've had it for years on the window sill in the kitchen where it has looked wonderful. However, it has now outgrown that spot, it's 'reach' is too great, so I have moved it out to the greenhouse, I do hope it will survive there.
My next choice is a self seeded heritage strawberry plant, originally given to me when I did a bit of weeding at Lydiard Park walled garden. It has several ripe tiny strawberries on it, and is doing really well.
This is a self seeded Euphorbia which is doing very nicely in the greenhouse
Above 3 Cardoons which were growing in the soil in the greenhouse, I have now put them in pots, as you can imagine, they were romping away in the greenhouse.
This is a Primula, taken from one of the community beds last summer, now looking really healthy in the greenhouse, ones I have outside seem to have been eaten by slugs and be suffering from vine weevil infestations making them look very scruffy.
The last of my six is quite a triumph and is very exciting. They are Angelica seedlings grown in a seed tray from seed collected, with permission at Twigs 4 weeks ago. Apparently they need to be sprinkled on the ground as soon as they form to have best chance of germination, but this looks pretty good. 
I'll go and look at what The Propagator has chosen for his six now, and also what other people have written about. He's got a bit of storm damage and some other interesting things in his garden.


Comments

  1. Very interesting about the Angelica. Fingers crossed your allotment survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was very pleased with the Angelica. My allotment was fine apart from a metal framed structure, originally a polytunnel, now a frame covered with netting, had jumped around a bit.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice six, I used to love visiting the snowdrops in Lydiard Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Lydiard Park this year, but there's something wonderful about snowdrops.

      Delete
  4. I love the cardoon leaves! Sorry to hear about the storm in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment