Portishead in Bloom

On a recent visit to Portishead, I was struck yet again by the fantastic tubs, hanging baskets and planters in absolutely fantastic condition despite the high temperatures and drought. I thought I'd look up Portishead in Bloom, and have a look at their track record, if you click on the link you can see it's pretty amazing, and they have succeeded in making the town look well cared for and beautiful. They are part of a South West in Bloom group affiliated to the RHS Britain in Bloom I think. It's not as clear as one might think, Swindon has entered Britain in Bloom in various categories, including community gardening, and I think we'll be judged next year, by which time, the Old Town Residents' Association community gardens probably need a Facebook page.
Back to Portishead, here are  a few photos I took from the Waitrose petrol station:
 Above the large planter is fantastic, and below a hanging basket on railings is clearly following the same colour theme
 Here are two more planters across the road
 and here's a close up of petunias, how do the people who look after them cope with dead heading and straggliness that comes with petunias after a couple of months?
 I took this photo below to give an idea of the density of baskets on railings
 Here's their logo
When I looked at their website and their calendar of events I discovered they were judged last week, and will know on 4 October how they did in the Champion of Champions category they entered. This weekend  the Portishead Show is being held amidst less than favourable weather conditions.
I should also have mentioned a community gardening area beside the petrol station where vegetables are grown and people sit enjoying the space:
and also beside there a large poster on a flower painted wall declaring Portishead was an RHS Britain in Bloom finalist last year:


Comments

  1. Sounds and looks lovely. I've not been to Portishead - though have visited Clevedon. I hear the lido is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portishead is just up the coast from Clevedon, There's a lovely walk along the coastal path. The Portishead lido looks great, although I haven't been in there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment