#SixOnSaturday: pleased with new trellis

 When I moved to this garden 11 years ago, there was a 1 metre high trellis half way down the garden, with a rose covered archway in the middle. I like the idea of splitting the garden into two parts; what has happened is that I've got rid of most of the grass in the rear part of the garden, I imagine it's now a riot of plants with a pond and a greenhouse, at least that's the idea. In practice a metre high trellis may be quite good as a fence, but it's useless to grow anything up because it's too low, and although it felt a bit daring, I wanted a 2 metre trellis installed. This week, thanks to neighbour Mark, who's brilliant at these things, I now have a high trellis which of course features as one of my six. 

I'm starting with this hellebore which looked so beautiful in the morning sun:

There was a time when I thought hellebores looked understated and wasn't keen on them, that's changed now, I think they're fabulous.
The second of my six is a pot with succulent leaves in it, I love watching the plants grow from a leaf, not only do these need potting on to their own pots, but there's a Stipa tenuissima, foxglove, two begonias and Erigeron karvinskianus in there, the result of reusing compost!
And here is the fence, looking a bit bare at the moment, but it gives structure to the garden and makes it feel organised.
Above clumps of snowdrops looking so good in the garden. There are lots of snowdrops to see in gardens at the moment. Twigs have their snowdrop  day tomorrow from 11am-3pm, 
Here's their poster:
I'm going to the Twigs event, and on Monday to Cotswold Farm Garden at Duntisbourne Abbots, open from 11am-3pm
I've included this photo of work still to be done in the garden, cutting back, saving cuttings in a corner of the garden and allow new shoots to emerge.
Last but not least, the Magnolia buds are swelling, this stellata has quite a few bulging buds, indicating there should be a good show of flowers. OK time to look at what the author of this scheme, The Propagator, and lots of other gardeners have chosen for their six.


Comments

  1. Love the new trellis, it will be fun to plan what will grow up it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are already quite a few clematis planted in the ground, will look out for more climbers now.

      Delete

Post a Comment