Spring Equinox #SixOnSaturday

The spring equinox is today; we have exactly 12 hours daylight and 12 hours darkness, and from tomorrow we begin to get longer days than nights and then next weekend the clocks change and we appear to get longer days than ever, and there's no excuse for not catching up with gardening jobs. Or at least that's what I'm saying to myself, I am getting prepared for the spring rush of allotment clearing, seed sowing and beginning the growing season properly, I'm not there yet. 

This week has been different from the last 5 months of mostly stay at home. I haven't been anywhere but the allotment and out walking from the house, but this week I had to go to Bath with my husband for 'work' and walked through the Bath Botanic Gardens where the Magnolias are probably a week ahead of those in my garden; this was the best photograph of two flowers just emerging from their buds

My next photograph is, as some of you may recognise, also from Bath, from the American Museum garden, it was photographed during Andrew Cannell's fabulous illustrated talk outlining the transformation of the whole garden over the last 3 years. It's worth clicking on the link to get an idea of the garden. Although the plantings are fantastic, I loved this photo of the amphitheatre taken before many people had made an impact on it. Thank you so much to SALGA for organising the talk, it was very inspiring.
I included this bunch of flowers because they were given as a thank you, and I felt very touched and pleased to receive them.
I've looked up these species tulips, bought from a rare plant fair, I'm not sure what they are, there are quite a few here which look a bit similar.
I'm including Corydalis 'Beth Evans' because it's looking absolutely fabulous this week.
And last but not least a photo of the Arran Pilot potatoes I am chitting in the bedroom. They look ready to plant, I'm glad I checked them. I will get on with that job this week along with the onion sets.
So there are my six, I think I've almost talked myself into getting the allotment sorted out and maybe even get some seeds sown. I'm off now to look at the Propagator's blog to find out what he and others have chosen for their #SixOnSaturday.


Comments