#SixOnSaturday: October Show Offs

 I started this morning waiting for it to get sufficiently light for me to go and choose my #SOS, a ritual which I have come to really enjoy, thanks to The Propagator, the brains behind this.I broke my normal rule which is not to read anyone else's #SOS before working out mine, read the Propagator's and was really inspired. Twitter feeds last night before GW were going on about bringing succulents inside before the first frosts, or not. Some of mine winter outside in flower beds, but I think I'll talk about them next week. I will bring in Pelargoniums very soon, it feels as though a frost is imminent..

So what did I find? The Acers are over the top fantastic colours at the moment, particularly this one by the back door in the broken pot. I think I will release it and plant it in a border very soon.

I looked at the Nerines last week and thought they would be ready to show their spectacular flowers, and here they are. I need more Nerines, they are fantastic in late October. I wonder if I included some in my bulb order? In fact when will the bulb order come?
Just look at this lovely dahlia flower, I'm not sure where it came from, was it somehow in compost? Is it from an F1 plant composted last year? I don't know, but it certainly is earning its keep at the moment.
This is one of Brian's dahlias from his Pickard's Field plot. I have made little effort with it, but it's looking fabulous at the moment.
Inspired by The Propagator's clematis, I thought I'd include mine which has had an extra lease of life since it rained. It's running through a plum tree, and as you can see, it has a lovely flower.
Lastly but by no means least, my Salvias, trimmed back a bit in September, are covered in flowers, the best are this one Cerro potosi, Royal Bumble and Phyllis Fancy
So that's my six, with quite a high summer feel in the garden if you concentrate on the flowers and forget the fallen leaves.


Comments

  1. Some lovely colours there, but unlike you I never peep, or I may just think nothing I have is good enough! I shall enjoy reading your other posts too. I used to like in Swindon on Dunsford Close before our last but one move. I will be interesting to see how my previous stomping grounds have changed. I have recently written about repotting sempervivums when I was also a member of Wroughton Gardening Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely look at posts before publishing and then writing about my six, like you I worry I'm not going to come up to the mark. I think Dunsford Close is much the same, handy for most places. I will check out your sempervivum post, I love them but don't necessarily do very well with them.. I saw Bob Flowerdew at Wroughton Gardening club a few years ago, he was inspirational, I love the book of his on growing fruit that I bought that evening.

      Delete
  2. If that first Dahlia is a self sown seedling then you really did get lucky, It's a beauty. Is the Clematis 'Betty Corning', it's been on my wanted list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Dahlia is amazingly beautiful in a quiet understated way. I once tried digging up tubers and storing them in the garage, they went mouldy so I leave them where they are, and am always surprised by what comes up.

      Delete
    2. I will look up the variety of clematis and let you know.

      Delete

Post a Comment