#SixOnSaturday - Suddenly it's Busy

 Weeks seemed to go by in the summer when I lost track of what day it was, and apart from a few Zoom meetings, my diary was fairly empty. This week, despite the Six Rule coming in next week, there's been a lot to write in the diary. I'm not suggesting it's all back to normal, far from it, but plant fairs have begun again, with three Rare Plant Fairs this month, last Sunday there was one at Adwell House, it was brilliant to be out again looking at plants to buy, and chatting about soil requirements and cultivation tips with growers. Yesterday there was another plant fair, one of the Coach House ones at Ampney Crucis, it's the closest to me here, and although last Sunday's purchases hadn't found new homes, I went along. It was held on the cricket pitch, but we were allowed to walk round the garden at the Coach House which looked stunningly beautiful yesterday.

There is another Rare Plant Fair at Bishop's Palace, Wells, tomorrow, but I'm holding my own plant sale on the pavement, I have too many cuttings to overwinter, so hope to raise funds for Olive Tree Cafe and OTRA Gardens. If you're in the vicinity please come along.

I took a photo of the succulents I'd gathered together on a table for the sale:

They are mostly tender, but I leave some of the plant arrangements in large pots out all winter, and some survive. This below as many of you will recognise is Tagetes 'Naughty Marietta', grown from seed, and doing really well all over the garden.

I first was given this Oxalis several years ago by a friend, I noticed today how good it's looking in the flower border. It has bright orange red flowers which may appear soon.
I hope this will be a triumph of hope over experience, whenever Tim, my husband, comes to plant sales, he always wants a blue Delphinium. I bought this from the plant fair last Sunday, it's a named one, 'Cupid' !! I cleared away a lot of thuggish Crocosmia 'Lucifer' to plant some of my new purchases.

This is  Erigeron x Wayne Roderick, sitting in wonderfully cleared soil, although of course not for long. My compost has lots of cardoon seeds in it which are not popping up wherever the compost has been spread.

So that's  my #SOS this week

Let's see what The Propagator our host who had the fabulous idea in the first place has chosen this week. His dahlias still looking fabulous, but the star of the six for me is Tropaeolum tuberosum ‘Ken Aslet’, definitely worth waiting for the flowers.





Comments

  1. Very interesting leaves on the oxalis. I would love to see it when it’s flowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post photos when it flowers. I'm amazed by how suddenly wonderful it looks.

      Delete
    2. I will photograph it when it flowers. At the moment it's sulking a bit because it's very dry here again

      Delete
  2. Lovely foliage on the oxalis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tregrehan Plant Fair on Sunday 20th, not exactly on your doorstep but I cannot wait. Plant buying highlight of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the 20th, there's also a plant fair at Llanover House, I've bought tickets, and will be ready to splash out having missed the fairs this year.

      Delete
  4. still enjoying the oxalis leaves, they are quite striking. i hope it's not a pest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not a pest, at least not in my garden, it struggles with the dryness.

      Delete

Post a Comment