#SixOnSaturday Fantastic Front Garden Fuchsiass

I have been a fan of Fuchsias for years, among my earliest memories of gardens are examining the Fuchsia flowers at home and picking blackcurrants with my grandfather when we went to stay with him in Whitehaven. Recently I have paid more attention to growing Fuchsias and now they are exclusively in the front north facing garden where they thrive, baking sun and south facing beds are not suitable for them at all.
My current favourite of them all is this first one, bought last summer at Great Comp nursery, it's Fuchsia magellanica Lady Bacon, it has put on tremendous growth and is looking absolutely fantastic at the moment.
 I thought it was worth taking a photograph of the whole plant, it's so delicate and the colours are exquisite. I first saw it at Oare House on an NGS open day and have wanted one ever since, so jumped at the chance when I saw one for sale at Great Comp.
It hasn't come out that well in the photo, but you get the idea, it's thriving!
My next Fuchsia is another magellanica, I think it's Hawkshead, but on looking them up, I can see the Hawkshead is pure white and mine is decidedly pink, so maybe Molinae:
I've had it for years, it likes being hacked back in spring, and it is very easy to take cuttings from it.
The next one is currently very small, it's slightly variegated and was blowing in the wind a lot this morning and so the photo isn't quite in focus, having looked it up, I think it might be Fuchsia magellanica versicolour
 It's OK, I can't remember where I bought it, but am concerned it is not growing very much and remains a bit dwarfed by everything else.
A few years ago I bought 6 hardy Fuchsias from Parkers, it might have been with those, certainly Delta's Sarah was in that lot, and is absolutely fantastic, it grows about 5 feet tall every year and is stunning:
 Another lovely Fuchsia is this one, it's in a garden round the corner, but started off with me, this is a cutting. It's what I think of when I think of Fuchsias:
It's very vigorous, I think I should take some cuttings and introduce it into the front garden. I tried it in the back garden, but it died after about 5 years of struggling with the heat and sun. I don't know what it's called and would rather not reveal where it came from.
My sixth is not a Fuchsia, but a fantastic Clematis bought from Marcus Dancer at a Rare Plant Fair, it was as wonderful as he said it would be. It's an upright Clematis, about 5 feet tall, beside Delta's Sarah and much admired in the front garden. It's called Cassandra:
 That's my six this week, here's what they look like in a collage:
Well that's it for this week, enjoy your gardens in high summer. They really are looking fantastic just now aren't they? And don't forget to look up other gardeners who are taking part in #SOS particularly The Propagator who started this whole wonderful business of sharing what we enjoy in our gardens each week.



Comments

  1. We were given a few cuttings of Lady Bacon last year and have a couple of nice young plants going, it's a beauty. I was amused about you all but admitting to pinching a cutting of 'Ricartonii' (possibly) but when I worked on a nursery and people brazenly helped themselves to cuttings from plants we were trying to sell to make a living we weren't amused. Blatant hypocrisy on my part, needless to say. 'Cassandra' is a beauty, I could find a space for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Bacon is really beautiful. Taking cuttings of plants for sale is wrong, just buy them for goodness sake. No one wants plants when someone has had a hack at them.
      I would thoroughly recommend Cassandra, beautiful colour, perfume and grows without any maintenance every year.

      Delete
  2. there is unwarranted sniffiness about fuchsia, i love them, but don't have any worthy of the name in my garden. i must sort that out. yours are all fabulous, i particularly like the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so beautiful, and thrive in the north facing front garden. I love the way they sway in the breeze, it was hard to photograph them last Saturday because they were doing just that.

      Delete

Post a Comment