Solstice #SixOnSaturday lots of pink

Well the longest day today, so no excuse for not getting all the gardening jobs done, although there's a limit to how long I can stay out there unless there's a real reason to get everything done today. One of the things about lockdown has been that feeling that it can be done tomorrow! I think that's no bad thing really, I know I used to rush from one thing to another and am enjoying a gentler pace. And thank goodness for the rain, the ground is reasonably moist now.
So on with a slightly different #SOS than usual.
 I was given this hosta quite a few years ago, it was split in half then, and needs another splitting. It is looking tremendous this year, because it's been so dry, and I haven't watered it that often, the slugs have kept away and the leaves are perfect, without any nibbles out of them.
 Slight cheating with the rainbow, it occurred on Friday evening when the atmosphere was magical, so wonderful it qualified for a #SOS slot.
 The evening primroses are suddenly flowering, and what a joy they are, springing up all ove rthe garden.
 This is a lovely penstemon with dark foliage and very pale pink flowers, very much the same colour as my last two choices, not a conscious decision when buying them, but here we are with three light pinks in a row. I first saw this plant at the Piet Oudolf field at Hauser and Wirth in Bruton, which is open with prior booking at the moment.
 I don't remember buying this clematis, it must have been last year because I've never seen it climbing through the plum tree before.
And here is the dierama, a very pale pink, small dierama, open completely while the other larger ones are being more tentative about opening. I have a thing about dieramas, and still regret not buying the white one from a nursery in the midlands.
And here's the collage, which I notice has an errant yellow flower amidst the pinks.
I've enjoyed this exercise, although got to the wine last night before adding text to #SOS.
I encourage you to look at the host blog for all that's properly #SixOnSaturday:
https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com/2020/06/20/six-on-saturday-20-06-2020/

Comments

  1. Grizzle, your Dierama is looking beautiful and mine looks terrible and hasn't flowered in two years. Your thing for them is not lost on me but it needs to start to perform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not natural, perfect leaves! i think you must have some dorian grey thing going on - somewhere in your attic there is a picture of a slug-ravaged, bedraggled hosta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfect leaved Hosta had to be one of my six because I have never seen one looking so perfect. I don't use slug pellets or chemicals, and usually resign myself to getting it eaten very quickly. This year, although it was wet after rain in February, by the time the leaves came it was very dry here, I am amazed. Strawberries are being devoured by slugs.

      Delete
  3. Jim, I have a real thing about Dierama, and keep buying them and planting them in different parts of the garden where they all perform slightly differently, or maybe they are different varieties. Can you send me a photo of your Dierama? Is it choked by something else? Mine don't seem to mind that either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment