Drought Tolerant #SixOnSaturday

Since the beginning of lockdown we have had very little if any rain, and although in my own garden, I have watered particularly beloved plants as they began to look unhappy, this has not been possible at the local OTRA Community Gardens. I began thinking about this, if climate change means we will get weather patterns that are 'stuck', so if it's hot and dry for one week, then it may remain like that for 8 weeks. I know this year it's been wonderful for the weather to be unseasonably warm with lots of extra hours of sunshine above normal, as people have had to be isolated from each other, but  what plants should we grow in gardens where watering is not possible? Our 6 community gardens in the area where I live have to be planted with things which are not watered, so I have devoted this week's #SixOnSaturday to celebrating plants that are still looking good despite no watering at all.
 I'm going to start with a Leucanthemum x superbum or Shasta Daisy bought from Earle's newsagents the shop across the road from the bed where it is looking excellent at the moment. Full marks for performance.
In the same bed, there's a lovely Salvia 'Royal Bumble', a cutting of a plant I bought from Derry Watkins at Special Plants some years ago. It's a fabulously reliable plant.
Next is a beautifully blue Delphinium, again bought form over the road, and although the stem is a bit long and wandery, the colour is fabulous.
 Moving onto another community flower bed, unbelievably behind a bus stop, outside the Co-op! This is an uncompromising spot, but has another Royal Bumble doing well, plus a Persicaria putting out fresh leaves and flowers:
and another favourite of mine for its sheer persistance, Convolvulus sabatius is a very reliable palnt. In this mornings cold winds, the flowers weren't keen to open:
And finally a fabulous, delicately scented rose form my garden, included because it hasn't been watered, and won't look so glorious by next Saturday:
it's tumbling over an archway, here's a close up:
What didn't make it this week, from the community gardens are, another Shasta Daisy:
And unexpectedly this Fuchsia is looking fabulous, although the light must have been strange when I took these photos because the colour isn't quite right. This is a cutting of a cutting, and I haven't got this one in my garden any more, it didn't like the south facing back garden, and the front garden already has lots of fuchsias in it.
By the rubbish bin on the railings at the community garden is this snapdragon which has persisted for several years and looks really good:
Here's the collage of my #SixOnSaturday:
I wonder what others have chosen this week, I can't look until I've done mine because I don't want to be influenced beforehand. Do check out the host The Propagator to see what he's chosen and look at what other plantaholics are talking about this week.

Comments

  1. That delphinium is such a amazing color! I grow rocket larkspur, wild delphinium, but it's so much smaller. Now that I mention it, I haven't seen any yet this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an amazing colour, bought last year from a delphinium society person at a National Trust garden. I bought four plants, only one has appeared.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment