Happy Memories of Sourcing this #SixOnSaturday

It's Saturday today, the day after we celebrated VE Day, but with the days rolling into each other, it's a relief  that the garden at least seems to know it's early May.
We've had some rain, but since then lots of sunshine and high temperatures, I'm beginning to worry that plants are flowering earlier than usual. We have lower temperatures forecast for this week, so maybe it will all even out.
I looked out this morning at a bed which catches the early morning sun, but then is in shadow of an American oak which shades it. I was going to make the bed one of my six because there are so many wonderful things flowering there, however by the time I got up, it was partly in shade, so I'll include it, but not as one of the six.
Several things strike me about this #SoS idea, firstly there are lots of very keen gardeners out there, people who like observing their gardens, taking photos of them, talking about them and perhaps also acquiring lots of new plants. With grateful thanks to the fab Propagator, please click on the link to read his blog.
 Doing this also reminds me of the many different places I have increased my plant collection, so here goes:
Starting with a close up to help identification:
and here it is in a clump, always difficult to know whether to have a close up or a clump
 I bought this plant above from Wanborough Herb Nursery when I visited it for the first time with my friend Carole about 10 years ago. I wasn't sure of the name of it, having lost the label some time ago, then the first #SoS post I liked from teabreakgardener included it with a name which was Veronica austriaca 'Ionian Skies' maybe.
 Above pink flowered chives bought from Wildegoose Nurseries at a Rare Plant Fair held at Kingston Bagpuize 2 years ago. This year's fair to be held on 24 May has not yet been cancelled due to Covid-19.
 This Turkish thyme is very vigorous, it looked like this when I bought it from a plant event being held in Malmesbury with fabulous speakers including Fergus Garrett and Noel Kingsbury. It flowers wonderfully and roots very easily.
 This beautiful Iris sibirica was given to me by Lyn who has given me lots of wonderful plants, and came to the talks at Malmesbury with me.
 Above is a bit of a poor photo taken in bright sun of the fabulous Geranium phaeum, I first acquired this when staying in a cottage in Cumbria with Jay and Mike when we'd gone to Appleby Horse Fair. I'd left digging a bit of root up until we were just leaving, husband Tim thought I was doing some gardening with a spoon!! Unsurprisingly, it's not taking place at the beginning of June this year. I will say that Geranium phaem has spread all over the garden, bees love it, and it reminds me of that lovely holiday near Appleby.
My sixth choice is Euphorbia black pearl, seen in beds at RHS Rosemoor and finally tracked down after quite a while, but I'm not sure where, anyway here it is:
The last one mentioned didn't make it,Tortworth Plants featured it this week on May 4th as their plant of the day. Persicaria bistorta superba aptly named, it's a real winner, again vigorous and keen to be propagated.

 Above is the floriferous late spring flower bed looking a bit in the shade by the time I got down to it, and below by #SoS
Great memories of plant acquisitions

Comments