Thank goodness for #SixOnSaturday

Well what a difference a week makes, last week although I enjoyed looking for my #SixOnSaturday, today it felt positively therapeutic after daily Coronovirus updates throughout the week. What a consolation to go and look in the garden for things to make up my six, with thanks to The Propagator for the idea,  his blog can be found by clicking on the link.
Here's my collage:
I'll start with top left, a small patch of Scilla, just love that blue and delicacy
The next one along is a fern unfurling in the front garden, I bought the fern from Adam Crosland who runs Toad Hole Hanging Baskets and Plants in Purton, I think I found an ideal place for it in the front, north facing garden. The new fronds are a pinkish colour and will I hope make lovely large fronds this summer
The next is a plant I have had for almost 40 years, when I found it in a field behind my garden, I thought it was a cowslip, they weren't readily available then, I dug a small part of it up, and planted it in my garden, taking it with me to my last 3 gardens. I now think it maybe an oxlip, neither a primrose or a cowslip, it certainly has remained constantly different from primroses and cowslips.
My fourth choice is a damson branch with flowers just opening. My father had wild damsons in his garden, a topic of conversation for half the year would be how good the damson crop was going to be that year. I have offshoots from his trees on my allotment, this one in the garden, a cultivated variety, was bought about 8 years ago.
Since last Saturday, these green leaves of the Acer have burst out of the buds, I think this looks fantastic:
 The final one of the six was chosen for its sheer exuberance and blowsyness. it's in the corner of the garden where I plant hyacinths given as Christmas presents.
The Rosemary plant is covered in flowers and gave nourishment to the bees today, but didn't quite make it this week.

Comments