New Year's Eve Walk to Avebury

It's almost the end of January 2019, and this is my first post of the year! I have lots of posts in the pipeline, so need to get on with them. Walking from Swindon to Avebury via Ladder Lane, Overtown and the Ridgeway is one of my favourite walking routes, I always see something worth photographing, however dull the day, and 31 December was dull. I love this view along a lane in Overtown with the trees hanging over it, and a thatched cottage just in sight.
But the best views of all as far as I'm concerned are looking at the Ridgeway, seen enticingly near walking from Overtown Farm where there are usually some Red Devon cattle in the yards or fields.
A recent addition to the Ridgeway are these horses situated near Barbury Castle
I need a better camera than a phone camera to photograph Barbury Castle, the photo below is a poor attempt. If you click on the link, you will see some wonderful aerial shots of Barbury Castle.
There were some sheep along the way.
And this is one of the buildings seen on the right just before you reach the road in Avebury.
I like to walk the route in just over 3 hours, have a coffee at the National Trust shop, and then catch the number 49 bus back to Swindon.

Comments