A Jumble Sale at The RJ Museum and walk home via Coate water

A jumble sale was held at the Richard Jefferies Museum last Saturday, and being a keen attender of jumble sales in the past, I was keen to relive the experience. Attending that one made me keen to run one of my own for charity, could we bring back the jumble, or have charity shops taken over from jumble sales? With something like 88% of unwanted clothing going into landfill, it's certainly time to do something to slow down the rapid use of resources.  Then there's The Emporium of Loveliness to visit when looking for vintage clothing.
Aside from the jumble sale, I walked to the RJ Museum via the arboretum, and back via Coate Water, giving me a chance to take the perfect photo of the diving platform.
This structure was listed in 2013, this is what the BBC website says:
A 1930s concrete diving platform in Swindon has been awarded Grade II listed status for its rarity.
The 10m (33ft) high stage, in a former swimming lake in Coate Water, was designed by local architect JBL Thompson and opened in June 1935.
The Art Deco style structure is "one of only four inter-war concrete diving platforms" to have survived in England, English Heritage said.
Fridy Duterloo, from English Heritage, said it was a "really good example".
The diving platform, with both fixed boards and spring boards, was designed to fully comply with the safety regulations at the time.
More here
I took this at about 1.30pm, but it looks as though it's going dark.

I took a few more photos of the water, but they were a bit dark, I will include this one where you might just be able to see a swan upended in the water, a popular pastime for swans that afternoon.

I thought the trees looked rather good, and
Nightingale Farm looked idyllic despite the roar of the M4 on its doorstep.
After this I got waylaid by Nationwide bicycle tracks which seemed to go round in circles.

Comments