Old Town Open Gardens- Visiting each others Gardens

 After the weekend when we open our gardens, those who took part, go on a tour of the gardens which took part in Old Town Open Gardens. Not all gardeners were able to do this because of prior engagements, but those that were able to open were really interesting and so good. I have taken masses of photos, so may need to have part 1 and part 2, although they were all visited on the same evening, apart from Holly's; we went there on Sunday for a meal and to pool the money collected. We started at Garden 1 where there were some glorious Agapanthus in flower. I have one pot of Agapanthus, only just now recovering from the winter, but without flowers, so these were a treat. I wonder if the white and blue ones are called Twister? 

This is an annual sort of thistley thing which Sue didn't have a name for. I think I found one on the garden tour, but that didn't have a name either. It's like a cardoon but with more prickles, I hope mine grows into one like this.
Below here's Sue explaining her box moth trap, it's hard to argue with this if you've got box plants in your garden, and it is using pheromones and no poisonous chemicals.
Sue's garden is steep and comes with a warning, but it's very dramatic and filled with fascinating features.
From there we moved onto Laura's garden, and before we even got into the garden, we were very impressed with this gravel raised bed at the end of the garden. 
Laura is a garden designer and has so many imaginative and interesting ideas in her garden. I am tempted to employ her for more ideas for my garden. I don't get much beyond digging up more and more lawn and buying tall plants, hardly a plan!!
Laura collects artefacts for the garden and assembles them in such an interesting and imaginative way. 
This is, I think a fig tree with very interesting leaves
And here's another example of things collected and put together in such a lovely way
And this is something you could try at home, sempervivums growing in gaps in brickwork near the back door.
I never cease to be amazed at other people's ingenuity in their gardens, looking round their gardens gives me so many ideas.


Comments