SixOnSaturday- new shoots in the second weekend of January

 After a week of hard frosts and mists, when I looked out this morning, at least the frost had gone and I thought it might have warmed up a bit. However, stepping outside, it was clear it was still cold, and the brick path laying will have to wait a bit longer yet if it's not to be endurance test. 

So what did I choose for my six? I started with one of the succulents I have left outside, it's good to see what survives and this one looks as though it might do so. It's in a small trough, and this morning still had some snow on it which looked rather picturesque:

I walked to my allotment yesterday as my exercise, it's about 2 miles away, and it's possible to walk back via Lawn, making it a nice round trip. I was pleased to see there were still sprouts, cavalo nero and swiss chard to pick, and the garlic has begun to grow since I last visited:

It's good to see things growing even in the depth of winter, well I'm sure it didn't grow last week, but during warm spells before then.

I think people posted photos of clumps of snowdrops before Christmas, well it has taken until this week for one flower to properly appear, there are lots of others just emerging.
And cyclamen coum are looking wonderful, there are big clumps of various different shades of them from almost white to deepest pink, all with slightly different leaf patterning.

I do like piles of bricks, and making brick paths, and last weekend someone backing onto the other side of the alleyway at the bottom of their garden, knocked down the wall at the end of their garden. The wall had originally formed the boundary around The Croft, a large house where Levi Lapper Morse lived. I am indebted Frances Bevan who wrote a piece about LL Morse on her blog where she reveals that Morse St in the town centre was named after him, and Winifred St named after his wife. Knowing the history of the bricks, I was keen to have some, the guy knocking down the wall said they were mostly broken and I could help myself to any I wanted. As you can see, I've got a good haul!!

Lastly the magnolia flower buds are really bulking up, can't wait to see the flowers. Sadly the stellata still hasn't really settled in and doesn't seem to have any flower buds.

OK so that's my six, I'm off now to see what The Propagator who started this wonderful journey of looking for six things related to gardens and gardening has chosen for his six. He's always so inventive, not sure what I think about the knee pads, I'd have liked to see what the jeans look like when he takes them off.




Comments

  1. Bricks with history - what are you going to do with them? It's nice to see the magnolia buds filling out isn't it? I promise of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's great to know I'm going to have a bit of the wall in my garden. In addition to liking piles of bricks, I also like brick pathways, so I'm going to complete a brick pathway linking two other brick pathways! I'll hopefully do it this week if it warms up a bit. Magnolia buds are very exciting.

      Delete
  2. Hard to let a pile of bricks just go, especially ones with a history. I have some lovely shaped ones in the garden that were left after a wall was knocked down and rebuilt before we moved in. They have a curved top and decorative corners and were obviously for the top of the wall. I can't help but wonder who thought the wall looked better without them. Probably the builder!

    Struggling with my login here so the website I want to use is https://plots11and24.edublogs.org/2021/01/09/six-on-saturday-green-shoots-09-01-21/ but google won't let me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got another pile of bricks taken, with permission from a skip, they look good with plants on them. I used the link to reach your blog and left a comment. I hope my seedlings do survive! They are tough ones.

      Delete
  3. So pleased you salvaged those bricks. I used to love going to Lydiard Park to walk amongst the snowdrops, which I lived in Swindon. Thanks for the history bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was pleased I asked the guy who knocked the wall down if I could take some bricks. He's only working on building a garage at the weekend, and asked me if I'd taken some, I said I had and looked up the history of the wall which he knew about because it's on his deeds. Snowdrops in Lydiard Park are still wonderful.

      Delete
  4. The bricks are a good catch especially as they have the patina of age. They'll be lovely put to good use in your garden. Also, those cyclamen are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jane, I have gathered more bricks since then, and tried to finish making a joining up section of brick path, unfortunately the two ends don't quite meet, so I'll have to make a few adjustments. Hopefully I'll have the path sorted by next week, and take a photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment