#SixOnSaturday - Autumnal Days

 We're now in October and it's a busy time for gardeners, main tasks being propagating, protecting from frost, sowing seeds of perennials and leaving lots of seed heads and mess for the birds and wildlife to live in and feed off. The latter is particularly difficult, I have the urge to tidy up, but seeing goldfinches and sparrows among other birds really enjoying the seed heads convinces me to leave well alone. The garden is a bit of a wilderness in places, but that's good.

We probably won't get a frost until the beginning of November, but I don't want to lose succulents and pelargoniums to frost, so I have to bring them into the house and garage over the next few weeks. I love displays of succulents grouped together in pots. This one below has done particularly well this year, and bulked out a lot, but since it's in a big stone pot, I think will have to be dismantled. Here it is:

Some of the succulents are quite commonplace, but there are two new Aeoniums in there whose names I will find and add. I love the shades of green and different textures. Which brings me to my second of six, we have a lovely Eryngium yuccifolium at a nearby community garden, and I'd like more, so have divided it and put the resulting plants in the greenhouse until they establish so they don't get devastated by wind. I've also collected lots of seeds, so will try sowing those.
I think I probably need to cut more leaves off. 
Above is a lovely sedum which I think is Coca Cola. I have tried growing it in flower beds, but it doesn't thrive like this. There's something about its small habit and the beautiful bright pink of the flowers that I love.
Above bright purple flowers of this plant, it's tough and reliable in my garden, I'm not sure what it is called.
I think this is beautiful, it might be a Nerine crossed with something else, it's the only one in the garden and makes me want more.
And last but not least, some beautiful yellow dahlias given to me by Brian from Pickards Field allotment site about 5 Years ago and still flowering every year. I don't bring these inside over winter because I don't seem to be able to give them the conditions they need to survive.
So there are my six after a break of a few weeks when I went to Crete where the Eremurus were flowering wonderfully. I'll now go and see what the Propagator has chosen for this week. Do click on the link and find out what he, and other gardeners are talking about this week.



Comments