#SixOnSaturday from Sussex Prairie Garden

 This week, I'm basing my six entirely on a visit to Sussex Prairie Garden last Thursday. After a couple of nights in Worthing, it wasn't too much of a detour to pay a visit to the garden on the way home. I have visited before as part of a Garden Tour of East Sussex, but on a day when the rainfall was of biblical proportions, and although I walked round the garden, it was hard to properly appreciate the planting. It was wonderful therefore to revisit the garden. It's described as an 8 acre prairie garden planted in a naturalisitic style. By a naturalisitic style, they mean 'it's a style of planting involving the use of flowering plants and grasses that have a close relationship in form, foliage and simplicity of flower with their native or non native counterparts'. There are plants grouped together in very generous clumps, giving huge swathes of colour with massive impact, and the choices of plants are excellent, with many for sale in the shop. With your entry, you get a guide to some of the stand out plants in the garden, including one of my favourites, Althaea cannabina which is flowering freely in my garden just now. 

I'm starting with a view of three plants together, Eupatorium, Persicaria and something else, a wood aster possibly

 My favourite plant was the fabulous Eryngium pandanifolium Purple Physic, I didn't consider the background when I took the photo, it's in the cutting garden and looking fabulous at the moment. I took advantage of the 3 plants for the price of 2 and bought three plants, I'm not convinced mine are as purple as this, but they do have the same structure which is so beautiful
next is an arrangement of Agaves in a trough which I thought weas lovely
and how enticing is this? The plants for sale area is well laid out with helpful assistants ready to direct you to the plants you want to buy!
A sea of Rudbeckia fulgida deamii, I think in glorious profusion
I also bought this lovely plant below, it's Helianthus Capenoch Star, I only bought one of those, so hopefully it will bulk up
At the moment, there's also an Indian Bazaar with clothes, furniture and jewellery and a wonderful vegetarian curry stall, and tomorrow, there's also a plant fair, so it's all happening tomorrow! Those are my six, I'm going to head off now to The Propagator's blog to see what he and other gardeners are talking about today. It turns out he's running round Anglesey, but there are posts from others!


Comments

Post a Comment