#SixOnSaturday: reaching for the sky

I've just been out in fine drizzle to photograph my six, and although rain is welcome, I was surprised to see the level of water in the water butt has barely moved, so we haven't had very much. I like to go out for my six without any preconceptions, and see what strikes me as interesting. I nearly included the almost black irises featured last week which were heavily featured in Gardeners' World last night, but there were other things which jostled for position in the six, and they missed out.  There's quite a Twitter storm about information which shouldn't have gone out last night from GW, the stand out one for me being sow sweetcorn now in pots. I think it's far too late. Anyway onto my six, the main thing at the moment is many plants are suddenly shooting up, hence the title, but my other theme is growing between the cracks, and I'm starting with that one:

I love the way Erigeron karvinskianus grows everywhere in the garden once introduced, I'm propagating it for the plant sale I'm holding on the 25th of June. The blue Campanula is lovely combined with it.
This plant will grow quite massive between the paving slabs, it's Inula magnifica and is popping up all  
over the garden.
The cardoons are shooting skywards, and are already needing a blackfly wash
And the foxgloves are looking lovely, although I'm cutting out the tops if they have blackfly. Everything has been so stressed it has more insects on than usual, a good thing I know, but can spoil the look of things. The bare soil on the left will soon be covered, it's part of the enlarge the beds activity I indulge in at any time of year, but particularly now when I need more room for more plants.
Above another Campanula that spreads itself around, but looks good for a week or so.
And lastly the strangely shaped pineapple broom, Cystisus battandieri, it needs a proper site to grow, and is maturing into a lovely plant. So there are my six, I'm going to look at what The Propagator has chosen this week, and what other gardeners are talking about.


Comments

  1. So much to choose from, as you say, I haven't heard of the pineapple bloom, it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely plant when it gets larger and well established, which mine won't in the place I've planted it. The flowers smell of pineapples, and for 2 weeks of the year, it's a great plant to have.

      Delete
  2. I sometimes think ours must be the only garden in Cornwall where Erigeron karvinskianus hasn't ever got going. We've introduced it at least twice but it hasn't taken hold. Is the second picture Inula magnifica?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can take a while to get going, then is rampant. I really like it and am busy pulling up plants and potting them on for my plant sale on the 25th of June when I know lots of people will want it. Inula magnifica, thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment