#SixOnSaturday- Celebrating Vigour

 The great thing about #sixonsaturday is that I go out into the garden and have a proper look at things, and then decide on a theme, of what might be of interest that particular week. I have left the garden completely to itself for the past 4 weeks, not even gathering leaves; although I will do that when they have rotted down and got thoroughly sodden, I think they'll make better leaf mould that way. Anyway this weekend, the first one in December, the overwhelming impression in the garden is of vigour and renewal, so many plants are ready to spring into action. I'm starting again with the perennial poppy which keeps sending out flowers which are longer lived in the cooler weather:

It's such a lovely sight, the splash of orange lighting up the bed. Virtually next to the poppy is the cardoon which put up 6 flower stalks this year, and maybe should have been split, it didn't like the dry weather in the summer, and wasn't putting up any new shoots, until the rain came, now it's raring to go into 2022!
I bought a yellow flowered alpine wallflower from Rumsey gardens a couple of years ago. It's lovely but had spread over a large area so I cut it back a bit and stuck the bits I'd cut off into a seed tray. They have nearly all taken and are growing away well, and will be candidates for the summer plant sale.
I do go on about Royal Bumble, it flowers for almost every month of the year and is still looking so good. I originally bought it from Special Plants. It does better then any other Salvia in my garden.
My next vigorous plant is this Penstemon, still sending out flowers and giving a splash of purple
And raring to go is this Euphorbia, it's the one with flowers smelling of honey which the insects love. It's a bit big for its position, but maybe I could take up some paving slabs?

 So that's my list of plants with lots of oomph, I wonder what the fabulous Propagator has on his blog today? Do click on the link and have a look.


Comments