#SixOnSaturday- Indoor plants

I thought I'd have a look at plants indoors this week, partly because I need to leave the house early tomorrow, so I have been able to take photos this evening, and also because I've got some great plants to talk about. It's certainly not because it's too cold to linger outside, it's been so warm this week I've done some digging on the allotment with just a Tshirt on. It's not right of course, climate change seems to be working very fast to change the nature of our weather. 

For my first plant, I've chosen the rather eccentric Salvia discolor, this is what Wikipedia says about it: 'Salvia discolor ( Andean sage) is a herbaceous perennial growing in a very localized area in Peru—it is equally rare in horticulture and in its native habitat. William Robinson wrote of its charms in 1933. The plant is scandent, meaning that it climbs without the use of tendrils, with wiry white stems growing from its base.' I love it for its black flowers and blackcurrant scented leaves, it has a curious habit, growing into a floppy plant. It flowers in November every year, the flowers are well worth waiting for, but hard to photograph because of the floppy nature of the plant. I'd highly recommend it as a plant to grow.

You can only just see the wonderful black flowers
Above and below I've photographed a pot bought for my husband, Tim at the Rodmarton Manor Rare Plant Fair this summer from Wivey Carnivorous Plants, not only were they a mine of information about Venus Fly Traps which is what we were buying, but the plants have thrived really well and produced a pot full of bog loving plants. The photo above concentrates on the Sundew or Drosera which have sprung up in the pot. They are so fabulous and as the name suggests appear to have dew on the end of their hairs.
Above you can see a close up of the Venus Fly Trap which also looks healthy to me. I now need to find out what sort of compost to use fro repotting into a bigger pot.
This is just a standard tender succulent, a cutting in the summer, now branching out, and brought inside for protection.
Above is a Streptocarpus which has been outside all summer, and looks very vigorous, it does seem to have it's own ecosystem of bugs which I'll have to locate soon
And last but not least, I do like this succulent with a pink tinge in a pink pot, it didn't go outside this summer, although lots of its relatives did. So there are my six, I'm just off now to see what The Propagator has chosen this week, and what other gardeners are up to.


Comments