#SixOnSaturday: Time to Bring in Succulents?

 It's that time of year when there's no denying summer is over and it's much cooler, I've just been out to photograph my six before the rain started, and considered that maybe it's time to bring succulents under cover before the frosts. I went to the last Rare Plant Fair of the season last Sunday, so also have a few plants to put into the ground, and looking round the garden, identified a bed where there's not that much to see, too many things like Achillea have taken over a bit, so that has now been dug over, leaving things I like, and removing other things. It's hard not to pot up things dug up, but really there's a limit to how many pots of perennials I want to keep for the next plant fair. On to my six:

Firstly a very healthy looking Aeonium ready for winter quarters, maybe this could come into the house?
These Tagetes 'Starfire' feature quite often I think in my six, on a dismal morning they look fantastic
This is Begonia sutherlandii above, bought at a plant fair in 2020 from Cotswold Garden Plants, it dies back in the winter, and produces masses of small 'balls', each one of which becomes another plant. I've given loads away and still have masses of plants, including the original.
Above a patch where i have tried to dig things out, there are some spaces for planting
Above Spanish flag is finally really flowering profusely, it has taken a while this year, but it was worth the wait.

You know the saying 'right plant, right place', well if it isn't in the right place, it will never thrive and you might as well move it. This very much applied to a Stipa gigantica which has never lived up to its name, so I dug it out, and split it, seen above, we'll have to see what happens. Something else to admit to, I didn't realise the variegated grass I bought from a nursery a couple of years ago was a pampas grass, it has now flowered , so the penny has dropped. I don't want it in the garden so will try digging it up and splitting it. Seems a shame, but it just isn't right in my garden.

I'll go and see what the author of this scheme, The Propagator, has chosen this week, and find out what everyone else is up to on the comments page


Comments