#SixOnSaturday: some familiar favourites and reluctant stars

 This week we have passed the autumn equinox, so the days and nights are of equal length just now, and the mornings are slow to begin. I fortunately took my photos in the garden yesterday when it was wonderfully sunny, in fact a glorious warm day, and with no appreciable rain for ages, plants appear to be hanging on in the hope of rain soon. Some of today's choices are in pots and have been watered, but plants in borders haven't been; rain is forecast this next week. The garden in some ways appears to be reaching a climax just now with my first choice, fuchsia 'Delta's Sarah' looking amazing in the front garden. It is surrounded by five other fuchsias, but has the most spectacular flowers of all of them:

It looks fabulous among the other fuchsias in the front garden, but it's hard to see when I take a photo of the front garden, the effect doesn't come over in the photo, so I've taken a close up
My next choice is the cyclamen flowering under the pear tree, there are masses of them, again they don't look so good en masse so I photographed a bunch of them rather than the large group.
This is a sedum or Hylotelephium possibly 'Coca Cola', I love the small sedums, but find they get lost in borders and gradually die, whereas this one in a pot, well watered is looking stunning just now, and like it's larger relatives, is covered in bees lots of the time.
This is Begonia 'Glowing Embers' looking magnificent just now, it takes a while to get going having been overwintered in the garage, but its reaching peak performance.
This next plant is a relative of the pea family as you can see from its flowers, it's the most fantastic magenta pinky purple and has put out lots of stems covered in flowers, I've forgotten what its called but hopefully will find out at the Rare Plant Fair at Evenley Wood tomorrow.

My sixth choice was photographed as it was going dark last night, I saw the fab combo of Tithonia and Spanish Flag glowing in the creeping darkness, I'm not sure its translated well here, I could go and have another try this morning. The Tithonia have been fabulous this year, almost 6 foot tall and so vibrant. The Spanish flag has been very slow, but is flowering well now.

So there are my six, I'll go and see what the author of the scheme, The Proagator, has chosen now, and look forward to creating a new community garden today and going to the Evenley Wood plant fair tomorrow, this one was delayed from March 2020, then again this spring, so should be great if there's petrol....


Comments

Post a Comment