#SixOnSaturday: Perennials in Full Swing

After a very slow start with a dry April, and cold, wet May, temperatures have started to increase, and this morning plants not seen since they died back at the end of last summer, are suddenly well grown and flowering, like Astrantia Roma, which is covered in flowers. It didn't make it into the last six this week, maybe next. So what has made the grade? Not the alpine pots I planted up because they look a bit puny at the moment, or the lovely compact, neat Persicaria I bought from DK Plants last year, it's as good as Dave Knox said it would be. I'm not sure what criteria I used this week, the garden is popping with perennials, so here are the ones I chose:

I love Auriculas, and would collect them if i was better at growing them. I visited Pops Plants several years ago, and came back armed with lots of different Auriculas and instructions on how to grow them. I have had several lovely flowers this spring, and this yellow one struck me as being rather lovely.
Epimediums are wonderful, I have got quite a few, they suddenly pop up. This one is 'Amber Queen' it has been featured before because the flowers are so wonderful, it's still flowering after about 4 weeks.
This is a brilliantly enthusiastic Persicaria, Persicaria superba.
I've added an Aquilegia, they usually pop up all over the garden with different colours and flower shapes. This is a slightly unusually dark red. Many of the plants have a sort of wilt, so numbers are much reduced this year.
These violas from Wildgoose Nursery are fabulous, again disappeared over winter and now look at them. They are real stars. I'm off to the Rare Plant Fair at Kingston Bagpuize tomorrow and looking forward to buying more violas. It's a ticketed event with masses of nurseries attending.

Finally I have added this white Veronica, it doesn't flower for long, but packs a punch when it does. There's also a nice Persicaria coming through there. 

So that's my six, I'm heading off to see what the author of the scheme, The Propagator has included this week, will there be any overlaps? Aquilegia and the V shaped markings on leaf Persicaria.


Comments