#SixOnSaturday- All Time Favourites this Week

 Some all time favourites of mine are featured this week, plants I wouldn't want to be without. The weather continues to be unseasonal, at least it's not too dry, so watering isn't taking up time, but looking at the forecast for today, I took these photos yesterday. Lots of tender annuals have now germinated indoors, but aren't very photogenic, so this week I've picked the following:

Absolute top of my pops, this Euphorbia mellifera is in the bed behind the kitchen, so its glorious honey scent wafts over me as I walk into the garden. The bees love this plant as well, and when it's not flowering, the leaves are very attractive. It's larger than I anticipated, but I planted it next to a Salvia involucrata which is also larger than anticipated and hasn't been killed by the frost. Its newly emerging leaves will feature soon.

I bought this Tiarella 'Pink Skyrocket' last autumn, it was quite a small plant, and has now rewarded me with masses of flowers, clearly living up to its name.
What is it about red cowslips? I love all shades of primulas, and cowslips are a particular favourite, but when they have red flowers, they are even better somehow. I looked up how the red flowers came about, yellow flowered plants were pollinated by red flowered primulas from Balkans apparently.
This Acer stands for any Acer currently in the garden, or any Acer anywhere. This week, their newly opened leaves are glorious. I had a collection in pots by the back door, but they kept being blown over by the wind, so I have planted more in the garden. This one was looking particularly good yesterday, it's a shame about the hosepipe nearby, but I can't repeat the photo this morning.
This alpine wallflower was also bought last autumn, and is fabulous just now, it has formed a neat mound and has masses of flowers.

For my last of six, I've chosen more newly emerging leaves, this time of a Sedum matrona, or Hylotelephium which is for the moment looking glorious, it will soon be overshadowed by Salvias and become unruly.

Well that's it for this week, I will ask a question of anyone who gets this far, I have taken the childproof fence away from the edges of the pond and while digging out 10 years of couch, noticed the tadpoles have all disappeared. Anyone else found this?

A reminder that I'm an acolyte and the real deal of #SixOnSaturday can by found here at The Propagator's blog.




Comments

  1. I just bought the same alpine wallflower to put in a little crevice at my rockery - I love the clear yellow flowers. I'm with you on the tiarella too - just brilliant and easy to grow plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fantastic? Some plants seem to get smaller each year and refuse to thrive, but those two are very reliable.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about the merits of Euphorbia mellifera, though it probably wouldn't top my favourites list (Hmm, what would?, very tricky question) Mine is where it causes problems if it gets too big so it gets cut to the ground every couple of years. It's compact and bushy as a result but I only get flowers in alternate years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is a tricky question, there are so many plants to choose from, I was lucky in planting it where it can go quite big, and so doesn't get cut back much, and flowers every year. The scent is so sweet, and the insects love it so much that I feel it's a positive plant to have in the garden.

      Delete
  3. That's a great selection of plants. The acer is such a great colour and I particularly like the tiarella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do love having a large selection of plants. I was concerned to find, a few years ago, that it was 'best' to stick to very few plants and have them repeated throughout the garden. Not my idea of gardening! The Acers are at their absolute best as the new leaves emerge.

      Delete

Post a Comment