#SixOnSaturday: Blue tits and fritillaries!

The wonderful thing about #SixOnSaturday is it gets me out in the garden wandering round and looking carefully at my garden, when I discover plants I'd forgotten planting. If you asked me about Snakeshead Fritillaries, I'd say I love them, but the soil is too dry in my garden, and they disappear after being planted. However, I now think I don't remember where I have planted them and then don't notice them appearing.In addition to the large clump featured last week, I found a smaller couple of clumps this morning!! It's still frosty at night and we haven't had rain for weeks, but looking at the positives, it is very sunny today and feels warm in the sun.

What have I chosen this week? Top of my pops is Fritillaria Imperialis aurora in its first year with me. I was amazed to see Monty's ones last night on GW with blue tits flying in and out of them. Makes me want to grow loads more and hopefully somehow train the blue tits in my garden to do the same. Does anyone else have luck with this?

It's not opened properly yet, so blue tits couldn't get in.

The blossom seems unaffected by the frost, this week it's the pear blossom by the back door which is looking stunning, I love the freshness of the leaves as well, what a colour:

My pink flowered, large Magnolia has lost all its flowers to frost, but the stellata has a few flowers unaffected by frost, maybe because it's smaller


 It's now a year since I had a greenhouse installed, and I'm still not sure I'm using it properly. I don't have heat in it, so am reluctant to start off tender seeds in it, however this self seeded Nemesia seedling has come on very well in there:

and here are more fritillaries discovered this morning:

and finally a planter with lots of tulips and other things is looking really good this morning, hard to photograph because it's long and thin:

I don't remember planting so many different sorts of tulips, but there are Red Riding Hood ones, some from a flag collection and some compact mid season ones.

Right that's my six, let's see what the author of the #SOS The Propagator has chosen by going over to his blog, and let's hope we lose the night time frosts and have some rain in the next week.

Good news on the Plant Fair front, I have booked 2 fairs in May, one at The Old Rectory, Quenington and another at Kingston Bagpuize. There's also one at Ampney Crucis next Friday!!


Comments

  1. Beautiful planter ;) Is it on the street? I do love it when people do gorilla gardening in my neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is at the entrance to the street, so as people turn in, they see greenery and I think it enhances the area, and hopefully slows down traffic. We had it made to measure by a company called Taylor Made Planters several years ago.

      Delete
  2. I have the same problem with snakeshead fritillary. I find them in the most unlikely places. Never where I want them but hidden treasures anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing because they disappear after flowering and without putting a marker in the ground, I forget they are there, somehow they even manage to survive my often rather vigorous weeding.

      Delete

Post a Comment