#SixonSaturday - filled with anticipatation

 There was still ice on the birdbath and pond just now when I went to photograph my six on Saturday. Easterly winds this week have prevented me looking round the garden following developments as I normally do, I've scurried into the greenhouse instead, hoping to escape the cold. I've taken yet more heuchera cuttings and planted out some taken last autumn into one of the community beds by the museum. I've also gained a compost bin full of compost from my daughter, due to be spread on the flower beds soon. I didn't choose the compost or cuttings as one of my six, but chose these as things of joy in the garden, nothing very special, but vigorous and colourful:

I'm starting off with this tiny Primula which might be Guinevere, I love the pale flowers and dark red leaves.
This hardy geranium is beginning to send up lots of leaves, it flowers for a long period once it gets going.
And suddenly the Corydalis are in flower, just like that! They are one of the most amazing plants to suddenly appear in the spring, this may be Beth Evans.
This is an 'ordinary' Primula, quite a big clump and looking good
These Narcissi with their blown back petals, known as reflexed apparently, are a favourite of mine. I've looked it up, it's 'Rapture'

And finally the violets are in flower, small but very bright flowers. I bought several colours of violets a few years ago, including 'Freckles', but have the deep violet and a paler one, no sign of the white one or Freckles. They are bullish and quickly colonise a border if allowed to do so, but they are a delight just now. So there are my 6, with a collage below. I'll go and see what The Propagator whose idea this was has come up with this week. He has included 'Jetfire' one of the daffs with reflexed petals which led me to look up mine in the book I write down purchases made. I think mine is 'Rapture' bought on 23 February 2017 from a plant fair at Welford Park.





Comments