#SixOnSaturday: Brrrr It's Cold Out There

 This week has been challenging with temperatures really not getting above freezing for days now. Everywhere I look, plants are wilting under the frost, I don't think all will recover when we have a thaw tomorrow. Anyway despite thinking there weren't six things to include out there, I managed it, although there was a bit of cheating going on with two garden ornaments being included, they did look good this morning.

The poppy head is one of two bought from Driftwood Garden during one of their open days, it's by Paul Cox, and is of course unaffected by frost
Which is more than can be said for the huge Cardoon which was looking very floppy this morning.
The pond was completely frozen over, should I have been banging holes in the ice for the frogs which may be hibernating underneath the surface?
The snowdrops have just flopped, and look quite desperate, but I think they'll be OK
Above a bee made by Jacquie Primrose and looking very good this morning

Before the frost, these Euphorbia mellifera were looking very healthy, now the outer leaves have flopped and the inner leaves, presumably protecting the wonderful honey scented flowers are standing straight up.

So that's my six, rather late in the day, I'm off now to look at the host of #SixOnSaturday The Propagator to see what he and many others have put on his blog.



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yes very simple, but especially at this time of year, really stands out.

      Delete
  2. Its been the hardest spell of cold for some time, this SOS gets us out there. Love the form of your Euphorbia even in its frozen state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I'd be able to go out and find 6 yesterday with such hard cold all week, that everything looked very unhappy. That Euphorbia mellifera is a fantastic plant, the flowers smell very strongly of honey, and the bees love it. I've got quite a few self sown seedlings coming up, so I'm hoping to spread it around the garden.

      Delete

Post a Comment