#SixOnSaturday - Structures and Snowdrops

 This morning I was drawn to the natural and metal structures in the garden as well as the fantastic show the snowdrops have suddenly put on. Last week there was one snowdrop in flower, and this week there are three proper clumps flowering. Like lots of people, I have spent more time looking at and thinking about my garden than usual, this lockdown has focused the mind, possibly because the weather has been more challenging than it was last March, or even in November, with very little sunshine it seems. I love structures in the garden, and rarely pass up a change at a sculpture show or garden to visit to buy one. This week I have chosen my latest purchase, bought at Westleaze, Sculpture in the Garden exhibition, to start with:

It's so lovely, but unfortunately I don't know who made it, I've looked in the catalogue and smaller pieces sold in the shop aren't listed, the same goes for the amazing structure below, bought at the 2018 Sculpture in the Landscape exhibition held at Urchfont Manor. That blog post includes the details of the piece, it's called 'Cornflower' and is by Ruth Molloy
Right beside Ruth's beautiful Cornflower are Sedum heads, looking fabulous still, and what a similar colour they are to rusted metal.
From the rust coloured things, I moved onto the white snowdrops. I became a bit of a galanthophile a few years ago, and bought quite a few different varieties of snowdrops, unfortunately I still don't have a proper system of labeling plants, so I'm not sure what these are.
The ones above have petals that sit quite apart from the central part of the flower
whereas these above have outer petals which cover the inner part of the flower and have wide, chunky leaves.

And lastly, these snowdrops have suddenly popped up in the front garden and looking stunning.

So that's my six this week, interspersed with 3 Zoom talks today, a fourth batch of marmalade and bread making. I hope you're all able to keep away from other people, and are looking forward to better times. Let's see what the master of ceremonies, The Propagator has come up with this week.

Well he's getting on with basic tasks, but has the best looking compost in the world. Does he have a shredder I wonder?




Comments