#SixOnSaturday: A Sparklingly Frosty Morning

 What a difference it makes when the sun comes out, especially after what feels like almost a month of gloomy days. I've just been to have a look for my six in the warm sunshine, despite there being quite a heavy frost last night. I've done quite a bit of cutting back of dead material this week because new green shoots are coming up, and it's difficult not to snip them off with plants like Crocosmia, so time for haircuts all round. I also managed to almost finish my brick path using bricks donated last week by a neighbour who was removing a 150 year old wall which used to surround the Croft Estate. The path links two other brick paths, and I've also given it a side shoot, and may take up a thin grass strip between beds and make that another spur of the brick path.

I particularly like the two by two pattern, and am pleased with the effect, although I need some sand to sprinkle between the gaps. 

I noticed this week that the first winter iris had flowered, such lovely colouring and so welcome at this time of year.
You can't have enough Cyclamen coum, I like all the colours ranging from almost white to deep fuchsia pink. I included one in a six recently, but since then more flowers have emerged and all the clumps are looking fabulous.
This clump of snowdrops was looking amazing yesterday, but has been a bit affected by frost, it'll soon perk up, but in the meantime has a sort of wilted charm.
Walking back towards the house, I noticed the frost was melting where the sun was reaching the grass, and not where it was shaded by anything, in this case an archway. I rather liked this effect.

Last but by no means least, one of my succulents rescued from the garage this week. I thought I'd water the tender plants being overwintered in the greenhouse, because although they should be kept on the dry side, they hadn't been watered since they first went in there. On looking them over while watering, I came across this Aeonium looking magnificent. I've had it for about 8 years, I saw it when visiting an open studios in Portishead and asked for a cutting. It needs regular dividing and is very popular in plant sales, and is the only one I have left, so I have decided to bring it indoors in case we get more really cold nights and it doesn't survive in the garage.

Here are my six in a collage:

I wonder what the host of this fab #SixOnSaturday has got for his six this week? Let's go and have a look at The Propagator's site. Despite saying he's not really doing much because he's in training for a run, he seems to have a lot going on in the garden.



Comments

  1. The brick path is looking very good... a great use for the bricks you sourced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think brick paths really look good in a garden, very satisfying to lay the bricks, although I do find they get a bit weedy with time, but use a knife to scrape out the worst, or relay if it's very bad.

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely Cyclamen. All my C. coum seem to just produce a smattering of flowers, never a good display. They also seem to start flowering very early, so maybe I get the flowers, but spread out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the secret is, although I think they take a few years to get masses of flowers. Mine have been lovely this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment