Last #SixOnSaturday- of January '21 flowers among the drizzle

 It's just as well that I photographed some things as I saw them in sun this week, like these Clematis Winter Beauty, photographed in the week, because this morning isn't good for photographs or nipping into the garden for inspiration. It's been a very difficult January with lock down and the subsequent isolation, I have begun cutting back the long stems and tidying the garden which has proved very therapeutic in these strange days. 

I'll start as mentioned with Winter Beauty, it's lovely, very vigorous, probably too vigorous for the front north facing garden where it threatens to take over everything, including passers by.

Next some Iris reticulata, possibly 'Pixie' bought last year from Parkers in bulk. I have lost the receipt, so can't be sure. These look a bit bedraggled after lots of rain.

My next choice of six is this gorgeous Pelargonium bought from Fibrex Nurseries, it's very strange. For me it only flowers on cuttings brought inside for the winter. The small plant is laden with flowers at the moment. The parent plant survives outside, but doesn't flower outside at all. Very strange, but worth keeping for the exquisite flowers indoors in winter.
I don't know how many other people suffer from security lights? The one above, just visible in the photograph, belongs to a neighbour who fitted it this week, and left it on all night, shining brightly into the bedroom window. He has promised not to do this again.
Above rocket is the only edible vegetable I have grown in the greenhouse this winter. I had hoped for more, but most seeds haven't germinated. I must get stuck in before it bolts.

Lastly some fuchsia pink Cyclamen coum looking a bit sodden this morning, but irresistible on this damp, dreary morning.

So there are my six, I'll now go and look at the host's choice, The Propagator always has an interesting take on the week. If you haven't already joined #SixOnSaturday, why not give it a try? Guidelines on the host's blog.

I'll add the collage as well, I still haven't quite got over how lovely these are:





Comments

  1. That's a beautiful pelargonium - such a delicate pink colour. I also really like the clematis and iris. You've got to admire plants that can put on such a show in such dreary weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I like to be able see something doing something interesting every day of the year. I'm not sure what the pelargonium is called and why it only flowers inside in the winter. Maybe it wants to be kept in a greenhouse in the summer. The clematis is a bit of a thug, but even the pruned bits are flowering.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think it's worth growing if you've got room, which you have. I would love it to be perfumed, but otherwise love its exuberance at this time of year.

      Delete

Post a Comment