#SixOnSaturday plants added to the indoor collection

 There's a focus on the indoor collection this week after a couple of frosts that browned off the flowers of Salvia Phyllis Fancy and Fuchsia Delta's Sarah which were looking so good last weekend. This week's six are entirely based indoors, although I did venture out to Bampton Garden Centre this week under the pretext of buying Christmas presents! I hadn't been before, but it was recommended by a friend, so I went to have a look. There was a good selection of outdoor plants and an even more enticing selection of indoor ones, and most wonderfully of all was a robin which followed me round very closely singing loudly. Firstly I thought it was a recording of a robin, it was so close and loud, maybe there are several robins, does anyone who has visited know? 

Let's get to my six, starting with three purchases from the garden centre:

Above you will recognise a Hawthoria Big Band with exceptionally white markings, well grown and with several off shoots. Below my husband, Tim, chose two Venus fly traps, Dionaea muscipula for the grandchildren, we've already become quite attached to them as they are about to send out more shoots. I'm not sure how to feed them the small flies that hover around the rest of the house plants at this time of year.

Below is an air plant I bought to go into a lovely ceramic container a friend made. I bought it last year complete with air plant, but didn't read any instructions about spraying them with water, so it died. I will try and look after this one.

This morning I went out to a Swindon Open Studios Craft market, intending to buy more presents, there were some great things there, but I was mostly drawn this morning to Rosie Tozer's jewellery stall where she had some fabulous jewellery, the best being the rings, is there a word for someone who loves rings? I've just had a look at a website which lists 50 things people love, the closest I could find was a phytophile. What is the link to #SOS? Well the ring has a lovely oak leaf pattern!

For my last two, I've chosen an Aeonium which may survive in the unheated greenhouse, but I'm not taking the chance, it looks wonderful in the bedroom:

and last but by no means least, the Clivia flower which was a triumph last week because it showed how happy the Clivia was to have been split into 6 pots, but didn't represent the true flower colour which is now clearly orange.

Well that was my six, I wonder how The Propagator got on this week? He Tweeted yesterday about not having any inspiration for gardening at the moment, but please click on the link to see what his #SixOn Saturday are this week, always inspired and inspiring. Love the black pots, I need more after a lot found new homes after the plant sale this year, also keen to visit the American Museum garden when we can do so.

We are entering the darkest times of very short days, I hope you find inspiration outside, it's important to get out each day, it's not long until days get longer.







Comments

  1. The aeonium and clivia do fine in an unheated glasshouse overwinter here in Ireland. We leave them quite dry and water again in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paddy for that information. I have several green aeoniums that I'm not so fond of as the dark one, so I've left those out in the unheated glasshouse, but the dark one seemed to be dropping a lot of leaves, so I brought it inside. I have several clivia in unheated spaces, and some indoors. I left one outside in frosty conditions one year for a couple of nights, the outer leaves died, but it was OK in the middle.

      Delete
  2. Nice selection of house plants, I like the soft orange colour of the Clivia flower. We also have a Venus flytrap. It caught the occasional mosquito without help from us, but not those pesky little houseplant flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the Venus flytrap would catch those little houseplant flies! I'm a bit worried the plants haven't had any flies since they arrived, but hope they will be OK. How long have you had yours?

      Delete

Post a Comment