#SixOnSaturday last November post, still jobs to do.

 What to think this week, lockdown ends on Wednesday to be replaced by more strict measures, it's needed but we need to dig deep to use a gardening metaphor to get us through the rest of the year, and just hope the vaccines work. I wasn't sure I'd have enough material for a #SOS, but went to the Lydiard Turkeys farm shop near Lydiard Park first thing where you know all food is sustainably sourced locally. I first encountered the turkeys on the 15 August this year when we could have Cake and Conservation meetings in the barn on the farm, before the rule of 6 prevented real meetings taking place. Farmer Chris Rummings gave us a tour of the farm in August, and explained the feeding regime for the turkeys. I asked if I could see them this morning, here they are, they are noisy and large compared to the skinny prepubscent creatures I saw in August:

Expecting feeding, the turkeys were even more vocal as I walked away from them!! I could watch them for hours, they are amazing creatures. Having bought cabbage, yogurt, apples, eggs etc from the farm shop i went into the garden and was amazed to see this Tiarella bought at a plant fair in September from Tortworth Plants still flowering
Likewise this plant, at over 6 ft tall, it's been flowering for weeks now and is a great addition to the garden. Must check its name.
I mentioned replacing brick paving last week, to get rid of ground elder, well check it, I've now laid the paving, and am pleased with the result. I've also just dug up more ground nearby to make a weedy path into brick paving.
Last year broad beans were carefully removed from the allotment before they germinated by mice or rats, so this year I've sown 3 seed trays of beans in the greenhouse, and they are coming up!!
And finally one of the lovely small leaved pelargoniums flowering beautifully still outside, should I bring it in? I didn't last year and it and several others survived.
That's my six this week, I'll go and check on The Propagator now and see what he and others have chosen for this week. Where does he get his energy and enthusiasm from? I realise looking at The Propagator's blog that he is still full of life despite the short days etc. Go and have a look at what he's talking about, and do consider joining in next week. Good gardening.


Comments