#SixOnSaturday: Stars in October Rain

 Looking out on the garden first thing this morning, I doubted whether I could find six things to talk about in the garden, with many plants looking highly unsupported and very sodden, I thought I might have to widen my search. Once I got out there, there were some plants which looked good despite the much needed rain. So here we go, starting with one of my favourite Asters, novae angliae Alma Potschke bought from Rumsey Gardens on 5 October 2013, it has been fabulous every year since then:

 
Rumsey Gardens have a fantastic selection of plants in their nursery which is situated not far from Emsworth where I visit a friend quite frequently, and like to check on their stock.
This Aster above is such a gorgeous colour, it's Coombe Fishacre I think. I've got it in two parts of the garden, which doesn't surprise me because it's fabulous and very tolerant of drought.
The Dahlias are really coming into their own just now, this one came from Brian who gardens in Piickards Field allotments, he gave me this one at a plant swap, and it's looking really good.
Salvia Royal Bumble above is one of those plants I would not want to be without, it originally came from Special Plants, it flowers from March-November and self seeds, and taking cuttings is very easy..
There was a strange light on Begonia Glowing Embers when I photographed it this morning in the rain, it's more orangey than it looks and reliably fantastic. I take it into the garage over winter, it dies back, then grows again each spring

Finally my absolute favourite scabious from collected seed, it's very dark, and after a thorough dead heading a few weeks ago, is now flowering again.

Isn't it great how doing #SOS, the brainchild of The Propagator makes you look again at the garden and appreciate it, even in the rain when many things look very bedraggled, but happy because they at last have enough water. Do check out his choices and the other people's blogs.





Comments

  1. It's hard for me to tell the difference between scabious and knautia! I have knautia macedonica Red Knight, and it looks so much like your scabious. It's blooming again too, although not as much as at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting one, I find knautia tend to have more pointy leaves and the flowers aren't quite as exuberant as scabious. Knautia seem more like wild flowers, and scabious more showy.

      Delete
  2. I seeded the same Scabiosa atropurpurea and here they're called Black Knight. I love them too! Next year I'll need to come up with better support though, as they tend to fall over, unlike my perennial Scabiosa caucasica Fama Blue and Fama White. March Picker at https://gardensatcoppertop.com/2020/10/03/six-on-saturday-october-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the name, they are so gorgeous and do flop over. My plant is in a tub, and has overwintered in there for several years because it's in a sheltered position, but the state of the plant is a bit dire, it's woody and falling over, hence the zooming in on the flower only!! They originally came from a flower at Parham House, I collected a few seeds because I loved the near blackness.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment