#SixOnSaturday Classy Campanulas

After the hottest weather of the year this week, I've had quite a lazy time of it on the gardening front. With temperatures into the low thirties and uv levels of 8-9, it hasn't been possible to do much more than pick fruit and make sure everything in pots has been watered,and nothing was about to die. Having said that, a beautiful Penstemon, flowering beautifully wilted and died, I think that was something other than lack of water and high temperatures. I've cut it right back and hope it may recover.
Overnight rain was very welcome, and came during the period this morning when I decided I must get my six photographed, I quite like water droplets on plants in photographs, so wasn't too put off by the rain. Campanulas are great, they are really easy to grow in my garden, and I love the flowers. they are quite varied in size as well, so I decided to choose them as my six this week, sadly the sixth in the back garden has suffered from being overshadowed by a hedge and other plants, so I had five I thought. In any case I wanted to include my unknown plant that has been quite a mystery.
Let's start with Campanula punctata, bought at a plant fair, and been a fabulous performer every year I've had it.
The other four Campanula include:
 The one above was bought from a plant fair at Grittleton, it was almost at the end of the fair, the vendor was selling it for £2 in a small pot and convinced me it was a fabulous Campanula, and indeed it is. The one below is a wild form of Campanula bought from Woodseaves Nursery near Market Drayton, I was warned it spreads and grows all over the place once established, well it has taken 4 years to do so, and definitely is wide spread throughout the garden. It's lovely though.
 This Campanula below is a large one, about 2 metres tall, and looks fabulous, it's a pale pink called Campanula lactiflora Loddon Anna, bought four years ago from Marcus Dancer who was at an Ampney Crucis plant sale.
 I've included this Campanula now found at the back of a bed because when the bed was smaller, it was fine there, not looks a bit odd., also called wall bell flower
 When I went into the front garden after posting my #SOS this morning I found I had a harebell, which would have been six.
But then I would have missed this beautiful Verbascum which opened its flowers on Tuesday before it got too hot, then closed them until it cooled off, which was an amazing and probably very sensible feat. I thought I bought it from Hardy's Plants, at the end of last summer, but can't find it on the receipt. I stuffed it in the front of a bed because there was no room for it really, and it's gorgeous. I'm very pleased with it and hope to find out what it is before long.
 And here's my collage:
 None of this would have been possible without the wonderful idea from The Propagator whose blog can be found here: https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com/2020/06/27/six-on-saturday-27-06-2020/ love the Dahlia Art Deco.

Comments