Primula Collection

At this time of year, Primulas make a fabulous show in the garden, and spread very readily, making a bigger splash each year, additionally they are very easy to divide up to make lots more plants. Having collected  them from spring Rare Plant Fairs over the years, I have a good selection. Looking through my plant buying records, I have 18 recorded Primulas, excluding Auriculas and cowslip types. I  photographed them all in the garden a couple of weeks ago when they were looking at their best, they have now suffered from the lack of rain and high temperatures, and are beginning to look past their best.
I was pleased to see references made to how wonderful and ubiquitous Primulas are at this time of year on Gardeners' World last night, when we were introduced to Barnhaven's double primroses.
 I will now try and match the ones I've recorded buying with the photographs below, although in some cases that has proved difficult, and some have been lost!
 I know this one above is Hall Barn Blue, a great favourite, divided up and planted in both the front and back garden.
This one above is Veris Pure yellow according to the label, it's a very bright yellow
This one above is a very small yellow Primula
I think this is Primula Johanna
This vibrant orange Primula was bought from a plant fair held at Westonbirt a couple of years ago, it's very zingy, and called Don Keefe.
The one above is a standard wild sort of Primula
Another fabulous Primula above Dark Rosaleen
Above and below are examples of Victorian Primulas 'Gold Lace', I have mostly the one above which self seeds and has been divided a lot. It's stunning. I also love the one below which is a slightly orangier colour, bought from West Dean Gardens.

The one above is Avondale, beautiful and very vigorous
Above Primula McWatts Cream, a fantastic Primula
I bought this one above at the first and I hope not last plant fair of 2020, it's Perle von Bottrop
This is Port and Lemon above, a beautiful Primula with dark leaves and pale yellow flowers
These two are lovely, maybe they are crosses between some of the other Primulas?
Something I haven't been able to resolve is identifying plants I have bought when they are planted in the garden, the white plastic labels sold with each one don't look ideal when stuck beside them in the ground in the garden. How do others solve identifying plants? I have wondered about having shaved sticks and writing in felt tip along their length.

Comments