Mottestone Gardens and Estate

 Mottistone Gardens are a National Trust run garden surrounding a beautiful manor house which dates back to 1567, although a building on the site is mentioned in the Domesday Book.

There's still plenty to see in the gardens despite seeing them in October, the lower area of garden was originally a large grassed area surrounded by borders and now has crescent shaped beds cut into the grass in a really interesting way. What a good idea if you're not yet certain you want to get rid of all lawn, but need more space for plants!
If you look at the photograph above, you can see beds cut into grass, such a good idea
One of the beds had bog sage growing profusely in it. I love this plant, it's so tall and a wonderful colour, as the name suggests it likes wet ground which I can't give it in my garden.
Above the main entrance to the manor house is this old plaque claiming Anno Domini 1567
This plant, Euryops Jamaica Sunshine appeared in many gardens on the IOW, I was keen to reproduce the look in my garden, and bought a plant from Osborne House, it's not hardy, so I'll try bringing it in this winter and hope I can have a plant that size next summer.
The long border was still looking very good, although notoriously difficult to photograph and doesn't look as lovely as it was on the day.
 

Comments