Exuberance and Excess for this week's #SixOnSaturday

With yesterday being the third hottest day ever recorded, I had a very lazy day, and hadn't even had a quick look round the garden at potential contenders or themes for this week's #SOS. I was pleased to find things a bit fresher this morning when I went out, and was struck by how lush and floriferous everywhere was looking. I suppose it was a result of last weekend's rain and a couple of days of high temperatures. Bees were very much in evidence, so I thought I'd choose plants with a lot of bees on them to include in my #SixOnSaturday group, at first I tried to include the bees in the photographs, but mostly this would have involved hanging about for longer time than I had available this morning.
So down to the choices, a consistent favourite of bees is Allium sphaerocephalon, and it's my number one this week, you can just about see a bee underneath the flower:
 This Persicaria may be a amplexicaulis, it's covered in bees and has been flowering for several weeks.
 I love this Lythrum slaicaria, purple loosestrife, again covered in bees and makes a real show in the garden
 I grew this Ipomoea lobata or Spanish flag from seed this year. I sowed several in a pot, this was the only one to come up, and has suddenly started flowering profusely. It makes a fabulous display, and I'll grow it again.
 This scabious is a bee magnet and you can see a bee on a flower near the top of the photo.
Last but not least a white Echinops, again beloved by bees, and finally looking good after a bit of a ropey start when black fly threatened to overtake it entirely, a bit of warm soapy water did the trick and got rid of the blackfly.
Here's the collage of them together:
Now I can have a look at all the other wonderful #SOS choices, especially The Propagator's choices. Have a look at his blog for more on this #SixOnSaturday and think about joining in next week, it's a great idea.

Comments