Celebrating Flowers for my #SixOnSaturday

 Well the heatwave finally came to an end leaving the garden looking stressed in lots of places, and needing a tidy up. We have had some rain, although not the torrents of the stuff we were forecast, still the punishing 34 degree heat experienced last week is behind us, so much so I needed a coat this morning to photograph my six in my nightie.

At one point I thought I would make this week a celebration of plants in the house, but having looked round the garden, there were some plants that were too good to leave out. The first of my six is a  houseplant, bought for me by my daughter years ago, it was in flower when I got it and continues to flower every year, despite a lot of neglect from me. It's very easy to grow, and divide.

This is another houseplant I've had for about 15 years at least. I first saw it in a jeweler's shop, I went in and asked if I could take a couple of cuttings. It has reached the stage when it has masses of flowers and looks really exuberant, I'll take more cuttings and throw this on the compost heap because it's almost reached its peak. I saw them growing in the Moroccan garden at Highgrove one year, and tried mine outside, they can grow really well, but obviously won't survive winter out there.
The morning glory are really getting going now. They self seeded and there were so many that they had a problem getting going. I have two sorts, the dark one and a lighter flowered on. I do prefer the really dark ones like this one.
This is a recent purchase, bought at a Rare Plant Fair at Highnam Court last summer, I think it's a heliopsis asahi it has survived the drought and is flowering as though it has not been stressed at all. The great news is that there will be 3 Rare Plant Fairs this September!!!! If you click on the link you can find out about them and book tickets to go.
This is a lovely flower on a cannabis family plant bought from Fforde Abbey, it grows to about 7 feet tall and has a mass of small flowers. Just gorgeous.
My final one is a 6 foot tall coreopsis which looks wonderful I think, it's a pale lemon and very easy to propagate and is a bit of a thug on the quiet, although it looks so innocent here.

Well at least I won't be watering this weekend, and can get some deadheading and tidying up done in the garden. The cardoons have gone over a bit before I got a good photo of them. They have masses of brown leaves on the flower stems, and lots of vigorous new green shoots sprouting up.

Do check out the brains behind this #SixOnSaturday sharing of gardening delights on The Propagator's blog here it's great to see what are people's favourites each week.

Comments

  1. You have an interesting selection of plants - and quite a few are new to me. The houseplant with the lavender blue flowers is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. morning! i too prefer the darker morning glory, i love the glow in the centre, looks like they are wired in to the mains!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment