Derry Watkins talk on Grasses

Derry's Tuesday talks are a real treat, they are held at 11am and 2.30pm in Derry's kitchen/dining room during the summer months. After a short chat on a chosen topic, Derry leads the assembled group into the garden to illustrate what she was talking about. Details of the remaining talks for 2018 can be found here there are 3 more Tuesday talks and a plant sale on 23 October.
I went to the talk on grasses on 18 September, but was amazed by the beautiful Salvias growing beside the car park and indeed in the garden. Salvia Javier on the left and Salvia Los Lirios
I think the purple one below is Salvia Nachtvlinder which grows wonderfully in my garden as does Cerro Potosi and Salvia Royal Bumble.
Before the talk, I had a look round the nursery wondering what to buy after the talk
I loved this Scabiosa 'Fama', an amazingly bright blue isn't it?
But I think I'd like to buy more Salvias, I've lost quite a few over the years, but have more idea now of good positions for them in the garden.
From the nursery to the house for the grasses talk, walking past the beautiful displays by the entrance to the house:
The Salvia discolour is now flowering beautifully, I love the black flowers and blackcurrant smelling leaves
The Aeoniums are looking fabulous
In the kitchen we had our talk on grasses and a handout with a list of grasses in the garden we could look at. Derry talked about not planting small grasses too near flowering perennials, they need space around them, I hadn't thought about that before. Tall grasses can have perennials planted around them because they rise above the other plants. Also a bed of grasses may not necessarily work well, they look better mixed with other plants. Derry's favourite is Chionochioa rubra, second Panicum 'Frosted Explosion' and Andropogon 'Prairie Blues' which I think is seen below with Derry talking about it
I love the border at the end of the garden where plants tower over the you

This is another fabulous Salvia, a huge plant
The grass I bought was Sporobolis heterolepis a 'fragrant haze of seed heads loved by Piet Oudolf' and Salvias Bordeaux, Stormy Pink and Flower Child all shades of pink. I'm hoping to create a Salvia bed wiht them.
I'll also look out for more grasses at Special Plants earlier in the season.

Comments