Paul Green's Talk for SALGA

Having spent weeks putting photos of the Grenada holiday on the blog, I'm now behind with the local things, so I'll upload some photos with minimum text to get up to date.
SALGA is a fantastic organisation in Swindon, I join every year at a cost of £2 and for that get notifications of Seed Potato Day, a newsletter, half price seeds from Kings and on the third Thursday of the month, they hold a talk at Gorse Hill Community Centre from 7.30-9pm. There are also trips.
I have heard Derry Watkins speak there, this time however it was the turn of Paul Green from Greens Leaves Nursery to lead us through 'Choice Plants for Spring Interest'.
I have met Paul at Rare Plant Fairs where he gives amazing amounts of information to those enquiring about looking after their newly purchased plant..
He gave an excellent talk for us. I learnt a lot, for instance that the annoying grasses which look tatty that you're supposed to remove dead leaves from by a manual 'combing' are better just cut back, I've done that since to great effect. Also that Phormiums are kings of plants, will grow well almost anywhere and make a fantastic architectural plant, plus the Agave I bought can withstand -6 C.
Here's Paul behind his stall:
 The large grass with the arching over seed heads is Miscanthus nepalensis, which needless to say I had to buy.
 People looking at the stall above and below a closer look at the Phormiums.
 And here's Paul talking about my favourite plant, telling us we could collect the seeds and sow them and get lots more Miscanthus nepalensis plants.
Worth checking out what's on next.

Comments