Braving the Wind and Rain for last #SixOnSaturday of October

 It was fairly wild in the garden this morning, very windy, with alternating rain and torrential rain, but Saturday has become an appreciation of at least six things in the garden or garden related, as suggested by the fabulous Propagator whose idea the whole thing was. His blog is well thought out, clever, articulate, quirky, and he considers things I might not notice, do click on the link to ahve a look. I won't look yet because I don't want to be distracted or feel cross I didn't think of those things.

So here's my six, chosen this morning:

In the north facing front garden, fuchsia, Delta's Sarah is enjoying the wet weather, it struggled in the weeks of drought in the summer, but is looking very perky now, and flowering well.
My second is a load of Cardoon seedlings which again are looking really healthy. I've discovered Cardoon seed heads need to be composted before the seeds will germinate. I've got lots coming up in the compost.
I love Clivia, I was given my first one, a relative of this one, at least 45 years ago by Freda Ferne, since then I have periodically split it and repotted it. I don't want too many Clivias, but despite trying not to get too many, I managed to get 4 pots in addition to the original one.
I couldn't resist these Nerines, still looking fabulous after about 3 weeks of flowering. I must get more Nerines for next year.
Another fabulous performer, virtually 365 days a year is swiss chard, some people say they're not keen, it's versatile, can be boiled in small amounts of water, stir fried with onions and made into curries, added to soups, it's wonderful and very pleased to get some rain.
And this as many of you know is the deep pink Pelargonium sidoides, I love it, I've got quite a few plants, and am keen to see if it will overwinter in the new greenhouse without heat. You can just see the reflection of a kitchen chair in the glass, I've taken it down to the greenhouse with the idea that I'll sit and read when the sun is shining in the winter!!

OK I'll go and look at The Propagator's blog now, what has he chosen? He's still decorating, and not doing much gardening, although he has a lot of sweet pea seedlings.
 


Comments

  1. All those cardoons! Do you eat them or just keep them for decorative purposes? Your fuchsia is very pretty...one of my favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cardoons are for decorative purposes. I'm not sure which bit you'd eat. They are great structural plants, the old seed heads from this year are mostly still standing. The fuchsia is lovely, it doesn't like the hot, dry summers, but is happy with autumnal rain.

      Delete

Post a Comment